Sunday, December 01, 2002

Race Report: 2002 Sacramento Cyclocross #6

Race number six occurred at Negro Bar on a course much less suited to my strengths. The grass, sand pit and the stairs were pretty tough for me. I am no runner. There is little doubt if I had been born in the ice age I would have been an easy meal for a saber-toothed cat.

The one saving grace was the long asphalt stretch towards the end of each lap. This is where most people were trying to recover, but I used it to gain time. Each lap I put it in the big ring and hammered my guts out, and each time I passed the guys who ran past me during the running sections.

I ended up third, sandwiched between Alex in second and Skyler in fourth. I am disappointed with the result from a points standpoint, but happy that I gritted it out on a course with features that I really struggled with.

Alex is now one point behind me in the standings. Basically I have to beat him next week in the final race. There are different points scenarios because the title is based on the best four finishes, but in no situation do I win the series if he should beat me by just one place. Even if we tie for the points, he would win because the last race is the tie breaker. Oh, the pressure. I will have to put a lot of emphasis on practicing dismounts this week because that is where he always gets me.

Later.


No comments:

Post a Comment