Sunday, April 04, 2004

Race Report: 2004 TBF MTB Challenge #4

Today's race was pretty enjoyable. I rode fairly hard but by the finish I felt like I should have gone much harder. There was still some gas left in the tank. In the last half mile I chased furiously to catch up to the guy in front of me, but he did a good job of holding me off by one second at the line.

I improved my time over the last race by roughly a minute, but still lost five places, taking a disappointing ninth. It looks to me like the 30-39 guys are the fastest age group. Crazy.

Here I thought there would be some benefit to getting older and racing against the "old" guys, and then they just go faster. What's even funnier is my time would have placed me third with the 20-year-olds. Is it sandbagging if you race in a younger class?

It's really not that surprising, though. That same thing happened in cyclocross racing, too. The master 35+ B winner usually beat the younger B winner.

This was the last TBF race of the spring. I don't know where I'll go from here, if anywhere. Cyclocross season is still pretty far away, so hopefully I will find something to do in the meantime.

Later.

No comments:

Post a Comment