Saturday, September 25, 2004

Race Report: 2004 Sacramento Cyclocross #2

Race two took place at Negro Bar. This venue typically gives me problems, but the course they created had a bit more pavement and a little less grass than in the past. There was also significantly more singletrack, including a very steep chute to climb. On the first lap I made it up and gained significant time.


After that I had to run up like everyone else.


I loved the more technical nature of this course.


The run up the steep hill was pretty tough, but instead of dreading it every lap I embraced it. Every time I picked off at least one guy and moved up.


I worked as hard in this race as I ever have.


On the pavement sections where guys tend to let up, I went full blast. I picked up a couple places here too, and not one single person passed me.


In the end I took sixth place, and I must say I was a little surprised and disappointed. I turned myself inside out and really felt like I would place higher. It was an improvement from last week, but I'm not really satisfied.


I don't want to keep harping on it, but my fitness just isn't what it was last year. The only reason I could even grind out a sixth place was I was willing to go so far into the deepest, darkest depths of the pain cave.

Even riding and training and racing as little as I am is a burden on those around me. I am left wondering if it is all worth it just to race at an "OK" level.

Things to think about.

Later.


No comments:

Post a Comment