Saturday, March 17, 2001

Race Report: 2001 Land Park Criterium

Today's race ended pretty much like every Land Park Criterium does—with a huge crash. There is a reason we call it "Crash Park."

The race takes place in Sacramento's Land Park on a circuit that really doesn't have any corners to speak of. Because of its circular nature, speeds are very high and the pack is a crammed together. It's really tough for anyone to go fast enough to string out the pack. Most of the time my computer registered 28-30 miles per hour, and this speed is achieved with three or four guys within inches or even at times bumping you.

I drifted from the front of the pack to the back a number of times throughout the race, and even took a few short pulls on the very front. With three laps to go the speed picked up even more and we did finally see some real racing. I moved up to the top third and was feeling pretty good about making a move.

Four guys split off the front with two laps to go and the rest of us were trying to bridge up. On the back side of the course there was a touch of wheels in front of me and a couple guys went down. Everyone scattered, and another racer went down and slid across the road in front of me. I hit the rear brakes and slid sideways to miss him. It was a nice mountain bike move that kept me upright, but I heard the telltale ping of spokes breaking. My rear wheel was toast.

As I was pulling to the outside of the road the crash continued behind me and I turned just in time to see a guy hit a palm tree. I will never forget the sound of his torso hitting the trunk. It sounded not unlike Stallone punching a side of beef in the first Rocky film.

I continued "racing" with my badly bent rear wheel, but with the rim rubbing my brakes I couldn't do much. When I came around to the crash site on the last lap, the rider who hit the tree was still down but appeared to be conscious and alert.

I limped in to take 38th out of 45.

After barely escaping yet another criterium crash, I have to ask myself if it's worth it. The race format just isn't that fun, and it is by far the type of racing I am weakest at.

At least tomorrow's Lighthouse criterium has a hill and lots of cornering. Hopefully I will perform a bit better there.

Later.

No comments:

Post a Comment