Sunday, May 06, 2007

Race Report: 2007 Coolest 24

As promised the year before, the Noble Riders returned to the Coolest 24 in 2007 to defend our crown. Unlike the previous year, there was no debate as to which class we would enter. As defending champions we would be racing in the pro/expert class. My childhood dream of racing as a pro finally happened at 39 years of age.

Craig could not make it this year so we recruited Steve's friend Alan who came down with Steve from Bellingham, Washington. Alan was the perfect replacement and we never missed a beat.

This year we arrived earlier and set up camp at a more relaxed pace.

We again erected Casa Grande, but nobody complained about our opulent lifestyle this year.

Alan would lead off. Here he is looking relaxed and confident.

Thankfully they did away with the Le Mans start.

Alan taking off.

Steve waiting for his run.

Alan and Steve making the exchange.

Alan happy to get one lap in the books.

Steve bringing it home.

The exchange with Doug.

Steve after getting that first lap in.

Doug bringing it home.

At this point it was time for me to take my lap. I felt OK but not great. I lacked any power and this surprised me. After all, at that point I was leading the 40-49 Sport class in the Prairie City Race Series and feeling very strong.

Even after missing the first two races, Doug (7th) was rocketing up the standings.

Me out on the course.

Bringing it home.

In the first round we turned in laps of 50, 45, 48 and 49 minutes. This was about 15 seconds faster than the previous year, which was a great start for the defending champs. Alan's 50 minutes was not indicative of his speed. He had to deal with first lap traffic.

My next turn came around and off I went for my second lap. I turned a 51 minute lap and just wasn't feeling like myself.

Doug after his second lap.

After I finished my second lap. Bask in the beauty that is my outfit. I can't believe I went out in public with that kit.

Again, I just wasn't feeling right. I simply couldn't comprehend why the sluggishness persisted. I was flying on Wednesday nights. But within a couple days I would understand: I was simply getting sick.

I raced the next Wednesday sick, gutted out a fourth place to maintain my lead in the series, and in the process took the illness up a notch. I ended up with a lung infection and ten days of antibiotics. My dream of winning a series dashed yet again.

***

After our second round, we were at the top of the leader board, just like last year. At this point, we started getting serious and the cameras were put away until morning.

When my turn came around again, it was decided I would take the first set of double night laps. This was the same strategy we used in 2006 and it seemed to work well. I turned laps of 1:03 and 1:04. I still sucked riding in the dark, and I was the slowest on our team, but I was still a little faster than last year.

Morning came and we were still leading the race, but our lead was slim. We had to keep grinding. I got the first full morning lap. It's always cool to be racing as the sun comes up. It really does give you a burst of energy.


Unfortunately I turned a pedestrian 59 minute lap on my fifth time around.

Doug and Steve getting ready for more laps while Alan was on course.

Alan bringing it home.

When my time came around again, I improved to 57 minutes for my sixth and final lap. Still shitty, but better. Thankfully my teammates were taking up the slack.

Knowing my race was over, I changed clothes and started my PR campaign. I always take time to take pictures with the fans, especially the ones who bring me an iced coffee.

Steve ripped through his last lap with a time of 49 minutes. He finished with a little over 50 minutes remaining in the race, so we opted not to send Doug out. It would have been a Herculean effort to turn a sub 50 lap. Our 26 laps would have to do. Now we had to wait to see if anyone else completed a 27th lap.


 Doug and Steve walking back after Steve's last lap.

Walking back to camp. I just thought this photo reminded me of a film promo shot.

Goofing off while we waited for the race to end.

When high noon struck, we were declared the winners. Another team also completed 26 laps, but it was after our 23:09 finishing time.

We successfully defended our title.

I assumed we would do this again. However, in January of the next year I broke my wrist and that, along with other individual circumstances, ended our championship run. There would be no three-peat for the Noble Riders.

Over the years I was lucky enough to notch a few wins here and there, but the two 24-hour wins with a team were very special.

Later.

No comments:

Post a Comment