Friday, April 17, 2020

Bicicleta Gorda Anaranjada

I starting building up the new Pugsley this morning. Unlike the old one, this one actually looks like a mountain bike.


Compared to my old medium Pugs, this new large frame has a shorter seat tube, longer top tube and longer head tube—all good things.

The handlebars are just a placeholder for now. I haven't decided what to use, but it may well be another pair of Jones bars.

The rear end takes either a 135mm QR (currently, with Surly adapter washers) or 142mm thru axle. I am happy to have a DT Swiss 350 hub in back so I can easily convert it to a 142mm thru axle with new end caps. This will make wheel removal much easier, which has historically been a huge hassle on Surly bikes with newer Shimano derailleurs.

Speaking of Shimano, I have not decided how to approach the drivetrain. I have an XT 11-speed setup ready to go, but an 11-42 is lacking gear range for a fat bike. You can put a tiny chainring on the front to compensate, but then obviously lose some high end. This bike will eventually have another wheelset built for it so I can use it on vacation like I did with the old Pugs. A 32-tooth chainring is the smallest I want. So maybe Sram Eagle is the way to go.

Later.


No comments:

Post a Comment