Friday, August 19, 2022

Tahoe Time

After a little time at home following our visit to San Diego, we were off to Tahoe for another short vacation.

We stayed at the Club Tahoe Resort again. It's pretty OK. The staff are mostly indifferent bordering on hostile. The check-in is late and the check-out is very early. You lose about half a day compared to other places. But it's a big place that sleeps a bunch of people, which works out well when my son brings some friends. Family friends vacationed with us but in another suite.

The first order of business was to stop by the condo to grab our bocce balls. We rent out our place full time now, but all our crap is still in the storage shed. When we opened the door we were immediately greeted by this:

Every trip we made to the condo flashed through my mind in an instant. My son would shoot baskets for hours. Those were the days. So many good memories. I do miss the condo quite a bit.

On Tuesday I went for a short ride. On these trips I feel like I have to balance the "family" aspect of my vacation and my personal desire to ride for six hours. But the neat thing about riding in Tahoe, my favorite place on Earth, is even a little bit is still awesome. I did my favorite short ride, a 16 mile loop.

I used to call this trail the Diamond Peak Flume. When I originally found the trail it was an overgrown game trail with a lot of deadfall, and it appeared on no maps. Now it is officially the Incline Flume Trail.


Different name . . .



Same awesomeness.


The next day we went to Reno so my son could take a look at UNR. It was a surprisingly beautiful campus. UNR is also a school where a few Folsom Lake College players end up every year.

After a general campus tour, we headed for the baseball field. It's nice.

There's something special about a baseball field that also has a great view.

We ran into some of the new coaching staff, and my son was able to talk to them for a while. Always network when you can.

After that we went to a Reno Aces game versus the Salt Lake Bees. We hate the Bees. "Boo Bees!"

We started going to Aces games years ago when we bought the condo and feel a certain affinity towards them as our second home team.

It rained pretty much the whole time, but it was warm and made for interesting views.


The Aces won 7-4 against the hated Bees, so we went home happy. Boo Bees!

The next day I went on another quick ride. Conditions were simply fantastic.

Another great trip to my favorite place on Earth.

Unfortunately we go home to an impending shoulder surgery for my son in just a few days. The possibility of ever playing on that beautiful field we just toured depends on it, and I am more than a little nervous.

Later.

No comments:

Post a Comment