Tuesday, October 03, 2023

Hightower

 A Hightower showed up at my door:

RIP Bubba Smith.

No, not that one. This one:

I haven't owned a full suspension bike since 2003, the last of which was a Santa Cruz Blur. I hated that bike, and swore off full suspension forever, but I must admit now in hindsight that I didn't really set it up for success.

I had only been on a hardtail for a few years, and still often chose to ride with a rigid fork. I was racing road bikes and cyclocross, in addition to mountain bikes, and my bike setup might have reflected that racing mentality.

My zero degree stem was way too long and the narrow bars too flat. I had a terrible habit of slamming my stem right on top of the headset (because racer!). I was also on a large frame, which had a ridiculously tall 21" seat tube back then. (My large now is only 17 inches.) It all added up to a really funky handling bike.

Looking at it now I can imagine that a little more steerer tube, a shorter stem and more rise on the bars would have done wonders to make it handle better.

Fast forward 20 years and I am now 56 years old. I can still ride a hardtail, sure, and that practice will likely continue. However, I do notice some soreness the next day. It's time to mix in a little comfort. And fun, of course.

I have also learned a tremendous amount about bike setup and positioning. Being comfortable can actually make you faster. Who knew!

Later.

No comments:

Post a Comment