Monday, August 05, 2013

Fat Sunday

Just like Fat Tuesday but with less booze and nudity.

Roger and I took the fat bikes out to Folsom Lake yesterday for a little ride. We started at Beal's Point and rode out to Donton's Point. You can see the route here.



We encountered sand, dirt, rocks, gravel, mud and granite slabs. None were any match for our fat tires and mad riding skills.



On the way back we took a few minutes to do some rock crawling and take a few pictures. Here Roger descends on The Beast with only a coaster brake at his disposal. It's a fine line between life and death out here.



Here's a video of me climbing. It's much steeper than it looks, and the 75-mile-per-hour winds made it that much tougher.



A note regarding Roger's bike—It's from Walmart. It's called The Beast. It cost a cool 200 bucks.

When he first told me about it the bike snob in me thought, seriously? But after it showed up and I rode it, I didn't think it was too bad at all, even with the ridiculously high gearing. With a few key upgrades, and a gearing change, Roger has transformed it into a pretty cool and functional ride. It just goes to show that we sometimes place too much emphasis on the latest high-dollar gear.

(Dear Santa: I'm just saying that. I still really, really want a carbon Beargrease. That's B-E-A-R-G-R-E-A-S-E not B-E-A-S-T. Thanks.)


Later.

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous7:46 PM

    Better hope Santa doesn't have any elves with a very cruel sense of humor

    ReplyDelete