Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Fall Ball

We signed the boy up for fall baseball. He is only six years old, so some of the skills he needs aren't quite there yet. You have to be seven to play in Little League, but they let six-year-olds play fall ball if they will be seven by spring.

He can hit and throw and field a grounder, but the ability to catch a ball thrown to him isn't quite there yet.

I think I made a mistake when I checked the little box on the form that said "assistant coach." Being an assistant to me is showing up, throwing the ball around a little, hitting a few grounders, and leaving while the poor schlep who volunteered to be the manager herds children and gathers equipment.

Well, looks like our team has no manager. So the three "assistants" have been promoted to "co-managers." Now I have parents sending me e-mails explaining why they can't make practice, or asking if it's OK if I babysit their kid while they go wine tasting. Ugh. Not exactly what I signed up for.

The first practice had five stations: hitting, infield, outfield, pitching and catching. Here Spencer demonstrates his pitching follow-through:
   

The Windup:


Even though it's highly unlikely he will ever catch, being a lefty, all the kids got to strap on the gear.


There's one more practice this Sunday, then we go right into games after that. Should be fun.

Later.

No comments:

Post a Comment