Monday, July 23, 2012

The Cozumel Project

Recently I bought this bike for $200 from a guy on Craigslist.


Why Would I buy a cheap steel single speed with 26-inch wheels? Simple. I'm going to cut it in half.

Jennifer and I are going to Cozumel, Mexico early next year, and we thought it would be cool to ride around the island for a week. We decided to hunt for some cheap bikes that we could have S&S Couplings installed on.

If you are not familiar with the couplers, they look like this:


When installed on a bike, they allow you to break it in half for travel.


The whole bike fits in a regulation suitcase, so there is no extra charge for an over sized piece of luggage.

Since the high point of the island is a whole 49 feet above sea level, we figure single speeds will work just fine. And the simplicity of the single speed helps ensure we have a trouble-free bike in a foreign country.

So with my bike purchased, I am on the hunt for something similar but smaller for Jen.

We're going to Mexico!


I'll post updates of the process as they happen.

Later.

No comments:

Post a Comment