Monday, February 04, 2013

Fistful of Pesos

And I have nowhere to spend them.



There are mistakes, and then there are mistakes. This weekend I made a big one.

As I mentioned in an earlier post, I was at the beginning of a three-week vacation. Part of that time was to be spent in Cozumel, Mexico. It wasn't until the night before our departure that we realized my passport had expired.

We were able to cancel our reservations because of insurance, albeit with penalties.

I have had a number of people say, "Sometimes these things happen for a reason," and they are right. The reason: stupidity.

I took today off to get all my passport renewal requirements assembled and mailed off. With any luck I will get a new passport quickly and we can find a replacement trip. In the meantime, I guess I will return to work tomorrow.

In the afternoon Jen and I went for a ride on the bike trail.



It wasn't anywhere near warm enough for shorts, but we wore them anyway. This is how people cope with loss.

We weren't on a warm, sandy beach. Any water we saw wasn't a deep, clear turquoise. We drank from plastic water bottles, not salted margarita glasses. The prospect of working the next day hung over us.

Still, we had the day off, we were on bikes and we were together. Not a bad day at all.

Later.

No comments:

Post a Comment