Sunday, July 17, 2016

Mixed Company

Yesterday I went for a ride out at Granite Bay with a few family members. We didn't go far, we didn't go fast, but I really enjoyed myself. Sometimes I forget that it's nice to actually ride with other humans.

Here I am bringing up the rear:


Phillip finishing a downhill:


Joel rocking the fat bike:


Roger (a little out of focus):


Joel in the obligatory distance shot:


Roger finishing up the last climb. Downhill time!


Towards the end of the ride, Roger commented that we were all on different wheel sizes. It wasn't too many years ago that there was only one wheel size. I bought my first 29er in 2004, and I thought it would be the last real technology jump for mountain bikes.

The bicycle industry has come a long way since then, and quickly. You can buy a bike tailored to pretty much any terrain you can think of, and the tire choices are mind boggling. Just when I thought I had seen everything, plus bikes came along and completely changed the way I ride. And surely more great ideas are on the way.

But in the end, I don't think it matters that much. We all rode vastly different bikes on this ride, and everyone finished with smiles on their faces, just like we did back in 1984.

Later.

No comments:

Post a Comment