Friday, July 17, 2009

Birthday Boy

Today is my birthday. That's all I have to say about that.


I'm currently working at home due to a split-shift situation. I worked from 5 a.m. to 10 a.m. this morning, and now I'm working 7 p.m. to midnight. This is the life of an IT guy. After hours work is the norm.

On the positive side, I was able to drive in to work today with my spouse and leave at ten for a 41-mile ride home on the cross bike.

When I left work it was warm but not hot. I figured I would beat the worst of the heat since I was leaving so early. Um, yeah. Apparently in my 40 years or so in the Sacramento area I have yet to figure out that it gets pretty damn hot here in July.

The first half of the ride was awesome. I rode through the old neighborhoods of Carmichael, Fair Oaks and Orangevale. Lots of green grass and large, old trees casting cooling shadows across the roads. My route was quiet, the roads smooth and rolling. It was great. I hadn't taken that route in two years.

As I started climbing into Folsom everything changed. It was hot, open and brown. Dead. The air felt heavy and dirty.

I climbed and climbed, and sweated and sweated. I chugged along up through El Dorado Hills, Rescue and into Shingle Springs. When I pulled into home it was 97 degrees, but if felt hotter.

After a shower, I watched the Tour coverage on my DVR and fell asleep for a while. When the family came home we had a quiet dinner before I retired to the office to start my work. Tomorrow night we'll have a proper celebration dinner.

All in all, a pretty good day.

Later.

No comments:

Post a Comment